1114.

05:43


So, for New Years Eve I attempted to do what I actually believed to be a very tourist-y thing but it's one of those "let's-tick-off-the-bucket-list" moments. Watching live fireworks and doing the count down on NYE in London - the dream right?
Or so I thought. 

{Warning: Dramatic story ahead!}
Being the extremely prepared and organised individual that I am (please note the intense sarcasm in this opening sentence), I decided that since I was in London it'd be a good opportunity to catch up with some shops that I have no access to, closer to home. But begetting that it was New Years Eve, most shops closed extremely early - besides the ever buzzing Topshop. Alas I found nothing to purchase so headed disappointedly (but still happy about New Year's don't get me wrong) to a bar where I tried some really good cocktails! It was a quaint and rather hidden bar, a pub called The Comedy Club. As you can predict, the club usually plays host to a number comedy acts and stand up shows. However for NYE the bar was turned into a party station with drinks steadily flowing from the bar - comes with a club downstairs!! 

The bar was extremely nice, drinks delicious but very expensive. I had the joy of trying the likes of Ferrari Jack, Perfect Sex, Malibu Woo Woo and Minty Mud Slide - I also tried Melon Shots!! They smelt amazing. Tasted it too!
Wow I'm beginning to sound like a raging alcoholic - trust me, I am not. I do however enjoy sweet novelties and provocatively named drinks.


Continuing from my sad story about failed NYE shopping. My main hopes for the day were to head towards the London eye and view the great 2014 fireworks in action.

But that didn't happen... really. After traipsing around for 2 hours due to the closure of London Bridge/Southwark/Waterloo (can't remember more) - I very nearly missed the countdown and fireworks. I basically did anyway. Westminister had been over capacity since 10(ish) so there was no access to viewing the fireworks head-on. Found myself a cold, damp and wet spot at Millenium bridge only able to see the very corner of the spectacular fireworks. 
It left a bitter taste of disappointment and some fruity smell given off by the fireworks (it was implied that the fireworks were able to be TASTED) I left for yet another 3 hour trek back to where I was staying.
It was wet. It was cold. People were drunk, happy, angry and shoving - all at once. I can't say it was the best New Years Eve of my life but it was definitely an experience. 
I'm still happy I went. I'm glad and had an overall good day.
I daresay it's just a sign of better things to come!

If, like me, you missed the spectacular display, you can catch up with it here

How was your NYE? Did you stay in or brave the outdoors for that strike of midnight?



Just a few pearls of wisdom from 2013:
  1. Time is made, not found.
    Whenever anyone says, I don't have time. I'm busy. I have work. I have this, that and the other. "I don't have time." It's all excuses and it's all exhausting to hear. Given that, I've played these cards myself but felt guilty nearly every time. Time is a concept made up by humans to organise ourselves, for work and leisure purposes but when it becomes an obstacle is when we lose our focus. We live for each other. There is always time.
  2. "The Opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference."
    A quote by Bree Van De Camp, my favourite housewife (original quote by Elie Wiesel). And how I interpreted this was that there is a very fine line between love and hate. With love, you devote time and affection, attention to the person you adore. With hate, you devote time, anger and attention to the person you abhor. You're still giving attention to someone, and if you hate them - why do they deserve such attention? "All hate is self-hate." This year, don't spend time hating someone, instead acknowledge that you are the better person. You need not play along with the venom of peasants. Be great and be smart. Right?

    "When someone tells you, “I love you,” and then you feel, “Oh, I must be worthy after all,” that’s an illusion. That’s not true. Or someone says, “I hate you,” and you think, “Oh, God, I knew it; I’m not very worthy,” that’s not true either. Neither one of these thoughts hold any intrinsic reality. They are an overlay. When someone says, “I love you,” he is telling you about himself, not you. When someone says, “I hate you,” she is telling you about herself, not you. World views are self views—literally." - [Source]
  3. Encourage crying and being sad!
    Because you know what? It's human. It's suffocating when something miserable happens to you and you are therefore miserable about it, yet you're denied the pleasures of what is essentially recovering. Recovering how? Crying, moaning, being a slump and doing nothing all day. It's fine. It's a stress reliever and it's in our very nature to be sad about the things that we care about. When someone tells you "cheer up" or "smile!" I find it quite ignorant. I appreciate that they are only trying to help but in the end, you can't just ask someone to simply flash a toothy grin then expect all problems to disappear. It doesn't work like that.

    Of course you can't go on dwelling forever, once you've given yourself the time to mourn over your last assignment, the failure of your last party, being rejected by your crush, the list goes on - you pick yourself back up. You move on. You see, acceptance and recovery go hand in hand. A little self-belief goes a long way.



A key goal for myself this year is to do well in the final term of university. It's vital to me that I get a decent grade in my degree. I look forward to many more Chinese New Year's! Anime Conventions! Birthdays, parties, trying new things. 
I want to work harder this year.

I wish you all well!! 
Happy 2014. May it be as brilliant as you are.

Any pearls of wisdom? Or what did you do NYE? Please share as I'd love to hear it!

Loves.
X

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I cried for the the first 8 minutes out of sheer happiness and everything in between while watching a slew of fireworks from my bedroom window. And i basically agree with all your pearls of wisdom. Happy new year sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, I'm glad they were tears of joy and nothing else. Medina I hope that we can share many good memories this year!
      Loves.
      X

      Delete
  2. Oh man, it sounds like you had a fantastic adventure, LOL. (or, well, interesting experience)
    I too, get lost frequently, but I usually look back on it as ~extra exercise~. Your misadventure sounds like something fantastic to laugh at years from now, heh.
    Anyways, I hope you had a more enjoyable New Year's when you woke up!
    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Ay

Instagram

Subscribe